Pastor Wade Burleson
Hearing His Voice Today
"The Name of the Game Is Influence"
Audio version as heard on WSEW-WWPC
Matthew 5:13-16 (English-KJV)
- Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted?
it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
- Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
- Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth
light unto all that are in the house.
- Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your
Father which is in heaven. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for
theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
God has a purpose for this world that involves YOU. God purposed to save you, and He did,
and He also purposed to use you, and He will. You are salt and light in this decaying and dark
Whether you know or it or not, you have both influence and impact on the people around
- You have a preserving influence . . . "you are the salt of the
In our modern day of electricity, refrigeration, and preservatives, the value of salt is lost. The
Romans believed salt to be more valuable than gold; soldiers often received their pay in salt.
Why is that? Because salt was the only known chemical that preserved precious meat.
- Your presence should prevent moral decay . . .
- Salt is not sweet, but it brings true satisfaction. The world will want to spit out much
of what you say, but don't not say it!
- Salt will always sting open wounds, but it brings healing. Others may be
uncomfortable around you, but don't compromise the truth.
- Your influence is to be in a decaying world . . .
Salt is not meant to be stored, it is meant to be used. "You are the salt of the
world." Too often, the world doesn't see or feel the salt. The world and the church are
- If you lose your impact, you are good for nothing . . .
The word "savor" speaks of the power or efficacy of the salt. If salt loses its taste, it
is no good as a preserver; the only thing it is good for is to be "thrown out."
How does a Christian lose his influence on the world?
- By thinking like the world thinks --- "The natural man receives
not the things of God: for they are foolishness (unsavory) unto him" (I Corinthians
- By acting like the world acts --- "And have no fellowship with the
unfruitful works of darkness, rather reprove them" (Ephesians 5:11).
- You have a visible influence . . . "you are the light of the
Those hurting and in darkness first react, then respond, to salt and light.
- Our light is Christ shining through us. . ."I am the light of the
world" (John 8:12).
The little boy, remembering beautiful stained glass windows of the disciples in European
churches, defined a saint as, "A person the light shines through."
- Light is a tool of discovery . . . Do people see their need of Christ because of you?
- Light is a tool of direction . . . Do people know of Christ because of you?
- Light is a tool of deliverance. . . Are people coming to Christ because of you?
- Our light can be hidden from others . . . "Let your light shine before
Just as a man does not light a candle, and then hide it under a box, God does not save His people
and call them to be quiet about their faith. Francis of Assisi once said, "Share the
gospel to every person you come in contact with. If necessary, use words."
- Our light is an instrument of change in lives . . .men will praise your
The normal means of conversion is the testimony and witness of others. God uses your life as an
instrument to show the lost the validity of a personal relationship with Christ.