Hearing His Voice Today
And Lead Us Not Into Temptation
Hear in Real Audio
Or right click mount24.rm and select "save link as" to
direct download the file.
You will then need to open it in Real Player.
Download free Real Player G2
Matthew 6:13 (KJV)
- And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the
power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
And Lead Us Not Into Temptation
This prayer could be considered various ways, but one of the most meaningful ways to view this
prayer is to see it as a description of the life of the Christian who prays it to God.
|"Our Father who art in heaven . .
||--- a child away from home.
|"Hallowed be thy name . . ."
||--- a worshipper of the one true God.
|"Thy Kingdom come . . ."
||--- a subject under the King of kings.
|"Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven . . ."
||--- a servant of the King of kings.
|"Give us this day our daily
||--- a beggar
|"Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors . .
||--- a sinner
|"And lead us not into temptation"
||--- a sinner in danger of being a greater sinner.
- An Objection to this Prayer . . . "and lead us not into temptation . .
God does not tempt anyone to sin!
James says, "Let no man say when he is tempted, 'I am tempted of God,' for God cannot be
tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man" (James 1:14)
Some people say the Lord's prayer is dealing with affliction and trouble and not sin, but the
language, context and construction of Matthew 6:13 points to a struggle with sin or
- Answers to this objection:
- This verse does not say, "Lord, tempt us not," but "Lord, lead us
not into . . ."
Matthew 4:1 says, "Then Jesus was led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of
the devil." This is exactly the sense of this prayer, "Lead us not . . ."
This is the heartfelt cry of the saved sinner who knows his tendencies to sin.
- God's leadings into temptation are various in nature.
- A temporary withdrawal of divine grace --- to humble the proud.
- A temporary change of circumstances --- to reveal character within.
Providential blessings or troubles and physical ailments or well being.
- An Exposition of this Prayer . . ."lead us not into temptation, but deliver us
- It is a prayer of watchfulness . . ."lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us . . ."
"Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors" precedes this prayer.
A person who prays "lead us not into temptation" is very aware of his past failings.
- It is a prayer of weariness . . . "and lead us not into
Have you ever considered the fact that it is Biblical to cry to God for help not to sin?
This prayer moves from awareness of self to an acknowledgment that God must helpf!
- It is a prayer of wariness . . ."lead us not into temptation, but deliver us
- The Application of this Prayer . . ."lead us not into temptation, but deliver us
- No Christian is beyond temptation, therefore never boast of your own strength.
- No Christian would ever pray this prayer and willingly enter places of temptation.
Those areas that are your weaknesses should be carefully guarded.
- An unwillingness to pray this prayer is an indicator of a spiritual problem within.