Hearing His Voice Today
The Meek are not Weak
Hear in Real Audio format
Or right click mount4.rm and select "save link as" to
direct download the file.
You will then need to open it in Real Player.
Download free Real Player G2
Matthew 5:5 (English-KJV)
In our study of the Sermon on the Mount we have already seen two characteristics of the person
who is "favored" or graced by God --- he is poor in spirit and he mourns over sin.
Today, we see a third mark of God's people --- meekness.
- Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
- What Meekness Is Many see meekness as being spineless and weak. What does
the word "meek" really mean? The word "meek" had three shades of
meaning: remembered as the ABC's of meekness.
- Awareness --- of one's faults, inabilities and weaknesses. The opposite is pride
which blinds the person to his faults --- thus, "pride cometh before the fall"
- Balance --- in life. Aristotle used to speak of a meek person as one who was
balanced in all aspects of his life --- "not too much emotion, not too little
- Control --- over one's self-interests. This word was used by the Greeks to
describe domesticated animals which were trained to respond to their master's voice. Psalm
32:9 says, "Be not as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding, but
must be controlled by bit or bridle, or they will not come unto you." When God
saves a person, He gives them a meek heart! "The meek He will guide . . . the
meek He will teach His way" Psalm 25:9.
- What Meekness Does
Jesus said, "I am meek and lowly in heart, learn of me" Matthew
- Three characteristics of a meek person's relationship with God . . .
- Submissive to God's Word -- "Receive with meekness the Word"
- Submissive to God's Will.-- "Thy will be done on earth"
- Submissive to God's Ways -- "Shall we not accept trouble from
God?" Job 2:10.
- Four characteristics of a meek person's relationships with others . . .
- Unprovoked by caustic critics -- "Jesus endured hostility"
- Patient with faithless friends -- "May it not be held against
them" II Timothy 4:16.
- Gentle to unkind unbelievers -- "To those who oppose him, he must
gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance" II Timothy
- Gracious to broken believers -- "You should restore your brother
gently (lit. "in the spirit of meekness"), watching unto yourself"
- What Meekness Brings
"Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth"
Matthew 5:5. The Pharisees believed Israel would inherit the earth through a
Messianic means. The Sadducees believed in materialistic means to overcome
the yoke of Roman bondage. The Zealots believed in militaristic means --- they were
called "dagger men" The Essenes turned to monastic means and closeted
themselves in the desert. All these groups missed out on the truth --- God's kingdom is
inherited by those who are meek --- Matthew 25:34.